The rules and regulations pertaining to employment for F-1 visa holders are complex. Before accepting any employment AND before working, please discuss your options with an immigration advisor. Unauthorized employment is very serious and will negatively impact your F-1 visa status. Your F-1 student visa permits you to work on campus at the university that issued your I-20 while you are enrolled in a full course of study. Your MSU, Mankato I-20 is your proof of work eligibility for on-campus employment at MSU, Mankato only. You must maintain F-1 status to be eligible for this employment benefit.

What is Employment ?

“Employment” is work performed in exchange for compensation. Compensation can include money, room, and board, or other significant benefits.

What is an Internship ? (Paid or Unpaid)

An internship is a period of work experience offered by an employer to give students and/or graduates exposure to the working environment, within a specific industry relating to their field of study. Internships can be as short as a week or as long as one semester. Internships can be paid or unpaid.

What is volunteering ?

Typically, volunteers serve on a part-time basis and do not displace regular employed workers or perform work that would otherwise be performed by regular employees. Individuals may volunteer for charitable and public purposes; volunteer time to religious, civic, humanitarian, or similar non-profit organizations as a public service without remuneration or any other type of compensation. F-1 and J-1 students are allowed to volunteer as long as it is for humanitarian purposes.