Transferring SEVIS record
In order to be eligible for a SEVIS transfer, the following must be true:
- You are currently in valid F-1 status
- You have an offer of admission from a new school
- If you’ve graduated or completed OPT, you are still within your 60-day grace period.
When transfering to a new school, the start of classes at your new school must be within 5 months of one of the following:
- Program completion at MSU, Mankato
- Last day of enrollment at MSU, Mankato (if not graduating from MSU, Mankato)
- OPT employment authorization end date
- If not completing OPT, the requested SEVIS I-20 transfer/release date
If the time between your F-1 activities is longer than 5 months, you are not eligible for a transfer and the new school must issue you a new initial I-20 containing a new SEVIS number. You will be required to pay the $200 SEVIS fee again and may not remain in the U.S. between F-1 activities.
Examples for possible SEVIS transfer situations:
- Completing a program at one school and starting a new program at a different school
- Student graduates with a bachelor’s degree and will begin graduate study
- Student graduates from high school in the U.S. and will begin study at a post-secondary institution
- Student completes an intensive English program and will start a university degree
- Currently studying at one school and deciding to transfer/change to a new school
- Student is studying at the bachelor’s level and decides after three semesters at their current school they want to change to a different school.
- Currently working on OPT and starting a new degree program at a different school
- Student graduates with a bachelor’s degree and started post-completion OPT. During OPT they apply for graduate school, are admitted, and decide to start a Master’s program that begins before or after post-completion OPT.
- Student graduates with a bachelor’s degree and started post-completion OPT. Then applies and is approved for the OPT STEM Extension. They apply for graduate school, are admitted, and decide to start a Master’s program that begins before or after OPT STEM Extension