If you would like your spouse (wife or husband) or unmarried, minor childunder the age of 21 to join you while you study at MSU, Mankato, they must apply for an F-2/J-2 visa.  Children born in the U.S. are not considered dependents in this context and you must be legally married in order for your spouse to be considered a dependent. 

Please provide the following documents to the Kearney Center so we may process your dependent I-20/DS-2019: 

  1. F-2/J-2 Dependent Responsibility form 
  2. Copy of passport biographical page  
  3. Proof of funding ($6,500 for the first dependent, $4,000 for each additional) 
  4. Copy of marriage license for spouse, copy of birth certificate for child 

Please allow five business days for processing. 

F-2 Dependents 
Employment is not allowed under any circumstances for F-2 dependents.  The spouse of an F-1 student may not engage in full-time study and the F-2 child may only engage in full-time study for K-12.  F-2 dependents may study part-time in a SEVP-certified school.  F-2 spouse or child who wishes to study full-time other than as described above must change their status to F-1.  

J-2 Dependents 
Employment is possible for J-2 dependents.  There are no restrictions on studying for J-2 dependents.