If you are involved in or witness any medical emergency, immediately call 911 or University Security (507-389-2111).
Automated External Defibrillator (AED)
What to do in non-emergency situations when Student Health Services is closed.
- If you all ill or injured and want or need medical care, seek care at a local urgent care facility or hospital.
- If you are ill or injured and are unsure about the need for medical care you can call Univ Security for assistance. Security will help evaluate the situation and contact EMS if needed or requested.
For severe or potentially life-threatening medical or mental health emergencies, even if SHS is open, call 911 or go to a local hospital emergency room.
The staff of Student Health Services is prepared to offer first aid at the Student Health Services Clinic. If the Student Health Services Clinic is the site of the emergency (tornado, fire, flood, etc.) or if there is a large number of injuries, Bresnan Arena (in Taylor Center) will be used. Blue Earth County Public Health and University Security will be contacted to provide additional medical personnel.
MSU, Mankato offers students the opportunity to talk with trained counselors about urgent concerns. The Counseling Center located in Centennial Student Union (CSU 285), provides a range of mental health services. Services are free (limited basis) and confidential.
Common Reasons Student Call the Counseling Center:
- Help with an immediate personal crisis
- You are thinking about suicide
- You are thinking or have committed self-harm
- You have concerns about misusing alcohol/drugs
- You feel distressed depressed
- Your in therapy and need someone to talk with now
Concerns About Others
If you have concerns about a student, faculty, or staff member in the MSU, Mankato community, contact University Security (24/7). University Security will coordinate response with trained mental health practitioners from the public and private community along with campus resources.