There is a tornado shelter location for each building on campus. In the event of potentially severe weather, it is recommended that each occupant have access to a portable AM/FM radio in order to follow weather updates.
Severe Weather Announcements
- Public warning signal (radio, TV; there will be no siren unless there is danger of tornado).
- Tune in radio to local commercial broadcast station (AM: KYSM 1230 or KTOE 1420; FM: KMSU 89.7, KXLP 94.1, KDOG 96.7, KEEZ 99.1, or KATO 93.1).
Watch vs. Warning
- Severe Thunderstorm Watch
- Tells you when and where severe thunderstorms are likely to occur. Watch the sky and stay tuned to NOAA Weather Radio, commercial radio, or television for information.
- Severe Thunderstorm Warning
- Issued when severe weather has been reported by trained spotters or indicated by radar. Warnings indicate imminent danger to life and property to those in the path of the storm.
- Tornado Watch
- Tornadoes are possible. Remain alert for approaching storms. Watch the sky and stay tuned to NOAA Weather Radio, commercial radio, or television for information.
- Tornado Warning
- A tornado has been sighted or indicated by weather radar. Take shelter immediately.
Severe Weather Information
- Tornado warning signal (3-5 minutes steady blast on Civil Defense Siren), also alert will be disseminated to University Security from National Severe Weather System.
- Note: Sirens are tested first Wednesday of each month at 1 p.m.
- Tornado warning announcement will be broadcast to the University Emergency Public Address System.
- Note: This is tested on the first Wednesday of each month.
- All persons should proceed to pre-designated tornado shelter areas. It is suggested that departments take and listen to a portable battery operated AM/FM radio to accompany you to the appropriate shelter so you are informed of weather updates, such as Tornado warning expirations or extensions.
- Evacuate to the shelter areas – don’t be sightseers!
- Lock your areas when evacuating to prevent thefts. Take your personal valuables.