Hazardous Materials

In the event of an environmental spill involving hazardous chemicals or other materials, follow these guidelines:

  • Evacuate the affected area of the spill immediately. Use judgment depending on the nature and quantity of spilled material.
  • Small containable spills:
    • Call University Security (507-389-2111).
    • Call 911 immediately for police and/or fire department if emergency response is necessary.
  • Large spills:
    • Call 911 immediately for emergency assistance.
    • Call University Security (507-389-2111) for immediate assistance.
  • Remove the victims from the spill area to fresh air if possible to do so without endangering yourself.
  • Do not endanger your own life by entering areas with toxic gases.
  • Inform others not to enter the affected area.
  • Do not return to the area until notified by emergency personnel that it is safe to do so.