Finding Your Work-Study Job on Handshake
Congratulations if you have been awarded Work-Study funds as part of your financial aid package! This is an awesome opportunity to take advantage of the transferable skills, resources, and knowledge that will be gained by working on-campus to help fund your education. In order to earn these Work-Study funds you must use (in most cases) the Work-Study Application that is found here to apply to Work-Study jobs that are found on Handshake. Download the application, fill it out, save it to your computer, and re-upload it to work-study jobs on Handshake.
If you are a returning student and hope to be re-hired in a previous position, then you can bypass Handshake and speak with your past employer directly. Make your supervisor aware that you have received work-study again in your financial aid package and would like to return.
If you are new to campus, or are switching Work-Study positions, below you will find the step by step instructions to browse positions on Handshake.
If you prefer these instructions by video, watch it here:
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
- If you are a new student, wait for the University to create your account AFTER you have completed orientation and registered for classes. Shortly after orientation you will receive a welcome e-mail from Handshake to your mnsu.edu inbox– this means your account is ready and you can log in. If you are a current student, your account is already set-up.
- Click here to log in using your StarID and password (If it is your first time logging in it will guide you through setting up your profile).
- Click on the “Jobs” card.
- Click on oval labelled “All filters.”
- Check the box labelled “Work study” and click blue oval “Show results” at the bottom right.
Your search will then turn up all of the Work-Study jobs that are currently live. You can click on the titles to learn more and apply by uploading the Work Study Application (or other documents as requested by each job posting). Keep in mind that these postings may change daily as new positions become available or get filled. Don’t delay applying – if you see a job you’d like, make sure you apply ASAP as employers may hire before the “close” date if the right applicant applies. The earliest your Work-Study job could start is the first day of classes, August 24th, but employers can choose to hire and post at any point before then, or after, so make sure to log in regularly. Once you accept a Work-Study job, you will not be able to switch during the 2020-2021 academic year.
If you have questions about your Financial Aid package or award, please contact the Campus Hub to make an appointment with a Financial Aid Advisor. They can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions about using Handshake contact the Career Development Center at email@example.com.
Welcome to the #MavFam and we look forward to partnering with on your Maverick journey!