Area Access

University Security utilizes a new system for authorizing building and room access. Departments can submit an Area Access spreadsheet listing anyone that should be allowed access to their areas.

For Departments Providing Access

Want a student to have access to space that belongs to your department?

  1. Fill out the sections in the area access authorization form.
  2. University Security will provide access when requested from the student.

For students that have been given access by a department

  1. During business hours go to the department office and request to be let in by department staff.
  2. After business hours call University Security 507-389-2111.
  3. Tell the dispatcher you would like to be let into a building and room. Provide your name and where you will meet the officer.
  4. Provide your MavCard to the responding officer.

Best practices for departments.

Departments are encouraged to keep a master list of those authorized, so they can refer to the list when providing access during business hours.

You can send the master list to University Security each time you add or remove access for a student. Be sure to make it clear which individuals are new to the list. For example you could use a different color font, or highlight cells of new individuals to your master list when sending it to University Security.

Your feedback is important to us, please let us know of any suggested changes or if you have any questions. Email us at