Frequently Asked Questions (​FAQ)

You should ask them if they are registered with Accessibility Resources. If not, encourage them to stop into our office (Memorial Library 132) to get registered. We can support them with the process of obtaining documentation from their provider. Please email or call staff in our office if you have information that would be helpful.

  • Accommodations are determined by the Director or Assistant Director based on professional documentation of the student’s disability.
  • Through an interactive process with the student, we identify functional limitations to learning and discuss accommodations that may assist in removing barriers.
  • Accommodations are not intended to compromise core course requirements and may require input from instructors.

In many cases, students are responsible for submitting either an alternative test request form or notetaking request form to AR and we would notify you thereafter. Other times (and as needed), you may receive either a Student Academic Accommodations Request (SAAR) form directly from the student or an email from staff in our office summarizing accommodation needs. We do not complete these accommodation notices for all students.

Students can disclose disability status and register with AR at any point in the semester; however, accommodations can be most effectively implemented when they are requested early. As a practice, AR does not require instructors to provide retroactive accommodation. However, you may find it to be reasonable in some circumstances.

Students with disabilities have the right to equitable access to education, and accommodations are intended to mitigate barriers. The method for achieving access may differ for each person or each course.

All students must abide by the Student Code of Conduct. Even if you believe the behavior is a manifestation of their disability, they are held to the same standards as all other students. Please contact AR to discuss any concerns you have if you feel their behavior may be related to their disability.

  • Consider arranging a meeting to discuss the student’s performance as you would with any other student in a similar situation.
  • Additionally, you may want to ask the student if they are using all of their accommodations. If they are not, talk about implementing them as this may provide better access.
  • Consult with AR staff to discuss concerns, ideas, and options.
  • Suggest campus resources that might be helpful: Center for Academic Success, Counseling Center, Student Support Services, department tutoring (if available), academic advising.
  • Accommodations are intended to provide equal access – not guarantee success.

Please refer the student to Accessibility Resources. We coordinate accommodations for graduate assistants in both their academics and employment on campus.

Yes, we welcome either individual consultations or department trainings. Please contact Accessibility Resources at or 507-389-2825 so we can discuss training needs.

Accessibility Resources accommodates over 800 students per year. The top three disabilities served on campus are psychiatric disabilities (such as depression or anxiety), ADHD, and systemic health conditions. Please be mindful that most persons with disabilities have a hidden or invisible disability which may not have visible symptoms. Instructional Strategies and characteristics of various disabilities can be found in the “Working with Students with Disabilities” page.