Intensive English Program Eligibility
Our Intensive English Program (IEP) is open to students who completed high school and score:
- between 20 and 60 on the TOEFL iBT test; or
- between 340 and 499 on the TOEFL PBT test; or
- between 3.5 and 5.0 on the IELTS test.
Intensive English Program Courses
- Our Intensive English Program (IEP) is semester based with 16-week semesters in the Fall and Spring and a 10-week semester in the Summer.
- Upon admission, you will be placed in one of the four levels listed below depending on your TOEFL or IELTS test score.
- Intensive English Program (IEP) students can achieve regular admission by successfully completing the advanced level with a B+ average, or by obtaining a score of 500 or more on our Institutional TOEFL exam (ITP) that is given to all Intensive English Program students at the end of each semester, or by independently obtaining a score of 61 or more on the TOEFL iBT or a 5.5 on the IELTS.
- At the beginner, low-intermediate, and high-intermediate levels, in order to advance to the next level, students must earn a semester GPA of 3.0.
Language Partners Tutoring Program
In addition to taking language courses, you will meet with an Minnesota State University, Mankato student, a Language Partner from the Honors Program, for two hours each week outside of class for conversation practice on cross-cultural topics. Your Language Partner will also help you practice strategies for understanding lectures, reading academic texts, planning essays, reviewing assignments, and preparing for the TOEFL test. Your partner also serves as a campus guide to help you learn how to access academic support systems available at MSU and engage in social activities.
University Orientation and Social Activities
Intensive English Program students will be introduced to the American university system and become familiar with its styles of instruction and academic expectations. There will also be opportunities to participate in social events and activities both on campus and off campus.