Message to Students, Nov. 20, 2020
On Wednesday evening Gov. Walz issued Executive Order 20-99. The order has an impact on how the University will operate over the next four weeks, and I want to make certain you are aware of what these additional changes mean for you.
- Classes will continue as they are now; most have already moved to remote or online delivery, and all will do so after Thanksgiving.
- Our campus gyms and fitness facilities are closing at 9pm today. Campus Rec programs will either be stopped or become virtual. Intramural, club and recreational sports will be suspended.
- Theatre and musical performances will be virtual only.
- Clubs and organizations should make activities virtual whenever possible; when not possible, they will be postponed or canceled.
- In-person study groups need to be limited to two people, and social distances should be observed.
- The Dining Center will remain open, but seating will be limited to two people per table.
- Students and employees are asked to limit campus activities between the hours of 10 p.m. and 4 a.m.
In general, please “lay low” for the next four weeks. The Minnesota Department of Health has asked that we encourage students to minimize activities and limit movements.
How this may impact your plans for Thanksgiving: If you are planning to leave for Thanksgiving and then returning to Mankato for work or other reasons immediately after the holiday, please consider staying here instead. We want all of you to be able to celebrate with friends and family, but we also want you to be thoughtful and careful about the impact travel may have on those around you.
We will continue to monitor the situation and will update you on changes as necessary. If you have any questions on these restrictions please email email@example.com.
I know this is a very difficult time. Please continue to stay safe, practice masking, maintain social distancing and avoid large groups of people.
I hope you enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday, even with these additional challenges caused by the pandemic.