Gregory Wilkins, Associate Director, Student Activities
Since 2009, Greg has been the associate director overseeing Student Activities within the CSU. The Student Activities’ mission promotes programs, activities, leadership and engagement for all Minnesota State Mankato students. Managing a $825,000 annual budget, Greg’s areas of focus include campus programs, nontraditional students, fraternity and sorority life, leadership programs, community engagement and off-campus housing. Greg supervises, trains and evaluations five full-time staff, four graduate advisors, several graduate interns, 12 undergraduates, 12 undergraduate programmers and over 100 undergraduate volunteers.
Education: Undergraduate Intercultural Studies/History/Political Science with a minor in Visual Art, Warren Wilson College; Post Graduate: College Student Personnel with University Administration focus, Miami University; Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership, Florida International University; ABD in University Administration, Florida International University.
Past Experiences: Washington State University, Pullman; University of California, San Diego; American University, Washington, D.C.; Florida International University, Miami; Miami University; University of California, Berkeley (Summer 1993); Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C.; Warren Wilson College, Swannanoa, N.C.
GETTING TO KNOW GREG:
"My top accomplishments since joining the CSU staff include serving as program consultant for the $2.4 million CSU’s Ostrander Auditorium renovation and the $4.4 million CSU Ballroom renovation; receiving over $150,000 in grants and in-kind services and my 2016 sabbatical where I worked with indigenous people in Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia, Borneo and Bangladesh while completing workshops and field experiences at 16 universities.”
"The most rewarding aspect of my work with students is student growth.”
“I like to spend my free time global traveling.”
GREG’S FUN FAST FIVE QUIZ
- What words best describe you. “VICTORY!- Visionary, Innovative, Creative, Team-Oriented, Responsive, Yeah Factor!”
- Three things that can always be found in your refrigerator. “Champagne, cheese, and ice cream chilling in the freezer.”
- Name three people, living or dead, you would like to invite for dinner. “Oscar Wilde (infamously brilliant playwright, style icon, author, artist, and social activist who was out and proud when it was illegal to do so in the 19th century); Amelia Earhart (Earhart was the first female aviator to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean, disappeared in 1937 while flying, and was an early supporter of equal rights for women) Person X (living in my imagination a wise person 7 generations from now that can impart wisdom and knowledge about the direction of humanity).”
- What is something people would be surprised to know about you? “I have traveled 1/3 of Earth.”
- What superpower would you like to have? “Omnilingualism – The ability to speak, write, understand and communicate in any language, including computer code, non-human species, plants, energy fields, and body language.”