Graduate & Doctoral Students

We're Here to Help

We want your finances to go smoothly, so you can focus on your academics and research. If you have any questions about your financial aid or student account, feel free to contact us.

Communication with You

Student Financial Services sends billing and financial aid notifications to your university email address. The sender is listed as Campus Hub ( It is your responsibility to read your Minnesota State Mankato email regularly. Your university email address is typically Activating your university email address is accomplished at the time of online registration via the MavAccounts page. 

Credit Load per Semester

  • The maximum credit load per semester is 12. Overload permission is required to enroll in more than 12 credits per semester; see Graduate Credit Overload form for details.
  • You must enroll in at least six graduate credits to be considered a full time graduate student at Minnesota State Mankato.
  • Summer classes include modules and short-term, half-term, and full-term classes and are all considered part of one summer term.

Financial Aid Eligibility

  • Graduate students must complete a FAFSA application to be eligible for Federal Work-Study Graduate Assistantships, Federal Direct Loans, Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans or private educational loans.
  • You are considered an Independent Student when you are enrolled in a graduate or professional program.
  • Minimum of 6 graduate credits for financial aid eligibility.
  • Undergraduate credits are not eligible for financial aid funding. 
  • Non-degree or non-certificate seeking students are not eligible for federal financial aid.



Know Your Costs

Tuition rates vary by delivery method (On-Campus, Online, etc.), but not by residency.

Cost of Attendance / Institutional Budget

Bills and Payment

Payments, Dates & Deadlines

Registration and other activities result in charges to your student account. Tuition due dates and other timelines are established each semester to help students remain in good financial standing with the University. You can find these dates and others by visiting the Campus Hub's Important Dates page. Billing for semester charges are handled through the E-services site. Paper invoices are not generated or mailed. Email and postcard reminders will be sent to you if you are subject to the Early Registration Guarantee Date. The Final Registration Guarantee Date each semester is the fifth day of classes (the first Friday). Failure to meet the minimum payment requirements can result in the cancellation of your classes. It is also important to know that you are you are financially responsible for all registered courses. Please ensure that your registration records accurately reflect your attendance plans; nonattendance does not substitute for dropping courses or release you from this financial obligation. Payments can be made through eServices, submitted to the Cashiers Office, or through a semester payment plan offered by Nelnet/FACTS.


Know Your Resources

Gift Aid (does not require repayment)

Child Care


Federal Loans

  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans
    Subsidized loans are only available to undergraduate students.
    There are maximum annual and aggregate limitson Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans.
    • Annual Limit - $ 20,500 (unsubsidized only as of July 1, 2012)
    • Aggregate Limit - $ 138,500 (subsidized may not exceed $65,500)
  • Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans

Private Educational Loans



Financial Aid

Not sure what your financial aid status is? Want to know where you're at in the application process? The check application status link will direct you to your personal login. Once you have a financial aid award, you can review and accept or decline funds through links provided on eservices.




Student Loan Deferment

A deferment is a period of time during which student loan repayment requirements are temporarily suspended. Deferments are granted for specific time periods and only for conditions set forth under federal law. Contact your loan servicer(s) if you wish to request a deferment for your undergraduate student loans while you are enrolled as a graduate student.

Check your loan balance, name of loan servicer, and find deferment and forbearance information at:



Financial Aid TV

In order to provide you the quickest answers to questions that may arise throughout your time about financial aid, an online video series is available that include topics such as the Financial Aid Process, Types of Financial Aid, and Personal Finance.

Special Program Resources

ID Cards (MavCARD)

Minnesota State University uses a picture ID card called the MavCARD. A university identification card is also available for extended campus students. Please contact the MavCARD office at 507-389-1707 for additional information.

How to Obtain Your MavCARD

  1. Enroll in classes
  2. Visit the MavCARD Office, SU 117, and show your Photo ID to begin the MavCARD process.
  3. Fill out a Student MavCARD Application Form.
  4. Your picture will be taken.
  5. Your MavCARD will be printed.