Maverick Handball Teams Finish 3rd at Nationals
Women's team placed third, men's team fourth.
Mankato, Minn. -- The Minnesota State University, Mankato men's and women's handball teams finished in third place combined at the 2018 United States Handball Association's national collegiatiate handball tournament, held Feb. 21-25 at Missouri State University in Springfield, Mo.
The Maverick women's team finished third overall, just 13 points out of second place.
The Maverick men's team finished fourth overall.
- Freshman Michael Gaulton made it to the semifinals of the Open division (3rd overall). He was an All-American and All-Tournament player.
- Carina Aguilar finished 13th in the country, the second-highest finish for a Maverick women's player.
- Jordan Taylor from the men's team finished 13th in the country.
- Austin Biddle won the men's A1 championship.
- Erin Kost won the women's B1 championship.
- Nikki Theobald was runner-up in the women's A1 bracket.
- Joelle Anderson and Maddie Kennedy were runners-up in the women's A doubles.
- Courtney Sill received one of the Sportsmanship Awards at the banquet Saturday. She received at least 8 separate nominations.
- The top 6 men and top 6 women score for the Mavericks in the team competition. The Maverick women that scored were:
- Carina Aguilar (13th)
- Nikki Theobald (18th)
- Courtney Sill (21st)
- Maddie Kennedy (21st)
- Crystal Theobald (25th)
- Joelle Anderson (37th)
- The Maverick men that scored were:
- Michael Gaulton (3rd)
- Jordan Taylor (13th)
- Austin Biddle (17th)
- Clay Edwards (57th)
- D’Ante Ross (57th)
- Same Ure (72nd)
Minnesota State Mankato, a comprehensive university with 14,712 students, is part of the Minnesota State system, which includes 30 colleges and seven universities.