Start or Recognize an Organization
Becoming a recognized student organization ensures these organizations have access to a variety of benefits and resources (to learn more, visit Student Organization Resources).
Starting a New Organization
Students can start a new organization at any time during the academic year. Starting a new organization requires 3 simple things:
- Create an organization name and write a formal constitution (check out our editable constitution template here).
- Recruit 5 members
- Secure an Advisor (Must be a faculty or staff member of campus)
If you have any questions or need clarification about starting an organization, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “New Organization” in the subject line, and a member of the Student Activities team will get back to you.
If you have secured the 3 things needed to start your organization, you are then ready to submit for recognition.
How to Submit for Recognition:
- Submit a request for recognition in Engage. To submit a request for a new organization, sign into Engage and navigate to the "Organizations" tab. Click the "Register an Organization" button (located on the left side of the screen, below the search options) to begin the submission.
- Create Organization Profile
- Upload Roster (requires at least 5 current MSU, Mankato Students)
- Upload Constitution
- Complete the RSO Handbook Quiz (view the RSO Handbook here)
Re-Recognizing an Organization
Once an organization has initially been established, Minnesota State University, Mankato has an annual recognition renewal process for student organizations.
The fall recognition period is the signature recognition time. Fall Recognition for the 2019-2020 year will start April 15th, 2019 and end at 11:59 p.m. September 30th, 2019.
The spring recognition period is for those organizations who missed the fall process. Spring Recognition for the 2019-2020 year will begin January 13th, 2020 and end at 11:59 p.m. January 31st, 2020.
How to Re-Recognize an Organiation
In order to renew an organization's recognition status, organizations must complete the following steps during the recognition period:
- Submit a re-registration request in Engage. To submit a re-registration request, the primary contact of the organization will need to sign into Engage and navigate to the "manage" view of the organization, then select "re-register this organization." (Note: only the primary contact of the organization will see the "re-register this organization" button).
The request for recognition includes the following:
- President or Vice President attend an Inauguration Event:
- Fall 2019:
- Spring 2020:
- Thursday, January 23, 2020, 4:00-5:00 PM - CSU 204
- Wednesday, January 29, 2020, 4:00-5:00 PM - CSU 204
If you have questions regarding the recognition process, or you are not able to access your organization's Engage profile, please contact the RSO Office at email@example.com.