About Campus Kitchen
Colleges and universities together with student volunteers and community organizations come together to combat hunger.
What is the Campus Kitchen?
Campus Kitchen at MSU, Mankato, is one of several independent programs sponsored by students at colleges and universities across the country, bringing together with student volunteers, and community organizations to combat hunger.
Who administers the program?
At Minnesota State University, Mankato, the program works as a partnership between the Community Engagement Office in the Student Activities Office, and a combination of community partners. The program relies on student volunteers to see work accomplished.
Who makes this happen?
People just like you! Students work closely with project staff to recover and prepare food that becomes the meals we serve. Restaurants and other monetary donors provide the supplemental food and the dollars needed to sustain the initiative. It is a strong example of collaboration and student leadership development!
How are the kitchen processes managed?
Through a rental agreement, Campus Kitchen operates in a kitchen at Crossroads Lutheran Church. It is licensed with the Minnesota Department of Health and managed by staff who have been ServSafe certified and are Licensed Restaurant Managers. All regulations regarding food flow and service are implemented. University Dining Services personnel typically are not involved with this program.
What are some of the outcomes?
Since it's inception in 2005, Campus Kitchen at Minnesota State University, Mankato has distributed over 89,148 meals and recovered over 174,997 pounds of food. Annually:
- 2090 meals are served to our neighbors throughout Mankato.
- 16,000 pounds of food is rescued from being sent to area landfills.
- 1,200 service-learning hours are accomplished by students.
- We are building a social infrastructure that connects neighbors to neighbors to address food insecurity.
- We are a part of the solution that addresses sustainable solutions for residents within our community.
- We are creating a community of care that is preparing students today to lead tomorrow.