2020 Graduate Advisor Applications
Assitantship POsitions have been Filled
- Fraternity & Sorority Life and Dance Marathon
For more information about the positions:
Contact: Bill Tourville
For inquiries call (507) 389-6076
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant Director for Fraternity & Sorority Life and Off-Campus Housing
Gregory Wilkins - Associate Director for Student Activities
Graduate Advisor Application Deadline
Priority consideration will be given to applications received by March 9, 2020. Students applying to the Counseling and Student Personnel Master’s Program in the College Student Affairs program do not need to submit separate application materials to be considered for this position. All other applicants may submit a Graduate Assistantship application, cover letter, and resume to the contact person noted at the end of this position description. Applications will be accepted until March 9, 2020 or until the position is filled, which ever happens first. All Assistantships within Student Activities are contingent on anticipated student fee funding.
Full-time assistantship (20 hours per week) with $5,000 stipend for each semester of appointment, out-of- state tuition waiver and waiver of tuition charges for up to 9 graduate credits per semester. Appointments made after the tenth day of classes are not eligible for tuition waiver.
Work with Assistant Director of Student Activities and members of the Fraternity & Sorority community in furthering its mission while adhering to the University's mission. This includes serving as direct advisor to a governing council and to at least one honorary organization.
Advise students in the planning and execution of the MSU, Mankatao Dance Marathon program, known as “Mavathon.”
Work with Assistant Director of Student Activities to facilitate the Off-Campus Housing Advertising Program.
Provide additional support, as needed, to the Office of Student Activities and the Centennial Student Union.
Key areas of responsibility
- Work with the Assistant Director of Student Activities and members of the Fraternity & Sorority community in furthering its mission while adhering to the University's mission.
- Provide advice and support to Fraternity & Sorority governing councils, chapters, and honorary organizations.
- Assist with fraternity and sorority recruitment processes.
- Develop, present, or facilitate educational programs and retreats.
- Represent Fraternity & Sorority Life and Student Activities at university, alumni, and other functions.
- Assist in the development and implementation of large-scale events targeting Fraternity & Sorority Life stakeholder groups.
- Advise a team of students in the planning and execution of the MSU, Mankato Dance Marathon program, known as “Mavathon.”
- Directly advise the Mavathon Committee.
- Manage the selection process for Mavathon committee chairs.
- Serve as liaison to local and national staff for Children’s Miracle Network/Gillette Children’s Specialty Healthcare.
- Manage the full-scale development and implementation of fundraising opportunities for Mavathon.
- Manage the logistical components of the Mavathon event.
- Work with Assistant Director of Student Activities to facilitate the Off-Campus Housing Advertising Program.
- Coordinate with housing partners and scheduling office to manage logistics and set up for housing fairs.
- Participate in the development of marketing materials for housing fairs.
- Provide ongoing support to the maintenance of accurate records for housing partners.
- Represent the department at neighborhood association or city staff meetings.
- Provide additional support, as needed, to the Office of Student Activities and the Centennial Student Union
- Represent the department at Admissions fairs and/or Summer Orientation programs
- Provide support during Welcome Week, Homecoming, and other events.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of the Student Activities Awards and Recognition program.
- Attend weekly Student Activities leadership team meetings and monthly Centennial Student Union staff meetings.
Term of employment
- August 2020 - May 2021
- Pending funding, there may be an opportunity to begin before August 2020
- Enrollment in a graduate program at Minnesota State University, Mankato
- Prior program planning, development and implementation experience
- Attention to detail, professionalism, dependability, and strong communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as team member
- Embrace the vision, mission and core values of Student Activities
- Exceptional decision-making skills
- Experience leading and/or working with volunteer programs
- Prior experience in working with Fraternity & Sorority Life, including membership in a social fraternity or sorority as appropriate
- Enrollment in the Counseling & Student Personnel-College Student Affairs, Educational Leadership, or Experiential Education Master’s programs
Contingent upon satisfactory performance and available funds, there is a possibility that this appointment may be continued beyond the initial period of employment.