Shop Safe Online this Holiday Season
Be Cyber Aware
With all the exclusive deals and promotions, shopping online during the holidays can be exciting. Remember, the influx of online shoppers during this season is noticeable to everyone, including cybercriminals. Learn how to protect yourself and your information online so you can stay safe while checking everything off your holiday list.
Before You Shop
- Secure your device
- Update all your apps and software.
- Make sure the device is free of viruses or malware.
- Secure your connection
- Avoid using public Wi-Fi to access personal accounts or engage in business that requires your personal information, like online shopping.
- Make sure the webpage is secure by looking for the lock icon in the address bar and the URL prefix https://
- Protect your accounts
- Enable extra authentication options for an added barrier on your crucial accounts, like social media, email, and banking.
- Make sure your passwords are lengthy and secure – and never share them!
- Verify the website
- Make sure that the retailer is well-known, reliable, and trusted. If you’re unsure, check reviews from other customers.
- If the offer seems too good to be true, don’t trust it!
- Avoid giving out unnecessary personal information
- Monitor the personal information that the seller asks for, and question whether it’s necessary before giving it out.
- Only give the information that is required. If the field is not required, leave it blank.
Learn More About Cybersecurity