Teaching with D2L Brightspace
What is D2L Brightspace?
D2L Brightspace, is the LMS or Learning Management System for Minnesota State Mankato. This is the mechanism that instructors can use:
- To create an online course website
- To organize course materials
- To create community online
Recommendations for Using D2L Brightspace
The campus Technology Roundtable recommends using D2L Brightspace at minimum to:
- Post the syllabus to Content
- Post Grades
- Add course due dates to Content Topics, Assignments, Discussions, Quizzes, and events to the Calendar
Watch this playlist of tech tip videos (most of them are 90 seconds or less!) to learn how to manage your courses, add files to Content, set-up Grades, and add due dates:
Look for Your D2L Brightspace Course
Starting Spring 2020, all courses will be automatically added! Log in and look for your course, it is already there.
- Teach multiple sections of the same course? You might Request Merged/Grouped Courses
- It takes 1-2 days for grouped courses to update in your account.
- Note: Please request your grouped/merged courses before any content or student submissions have been added.
- Need to add a Teacher's Assistant or Co-Teacher who is NOT listed in our official record? Use these instructions to add a Co-Teacher, Teacher's Assistant to your course.
- When are courses deleted? How will I learn about updates? Learn more about Course Request, Deletion, and Updates for D2L Brightspace here.
- How can I practice? Request a "Sandbox" practice course in D2L Brightspace by submitting a ticket to IT Solutions:
Getting Started Tutorial Videos
View Getting Started tutorial playlists for Instructors on the D2L Brightspace YouTube channel. These will help you understand how to:
- Navigate D2L Brightspace
- Use Content to upload a syllabus
- Email your class
- Set-up and use the Grades tool
- Perform other basic functions:
Learn even more on LinkedIn Learning
Design and Build Your Course
Create the design for your course and build it in the D2L Brightspace course offering.
Learn more about course design, teaching strategies, and technology tools available to you by browsing the links below.
Learn to apply evidenced-based and pedagogically-strong online course design principles and practices. Engage in self-paced learning, training, individual or group consultations, conferences, course certification and more. Let's design together!
Six key areas for online teaching success plus tools and tips to apply it immediately.
MavLEARN is the Maverick Learning and Educational Applied Research Nexus. Learn research-based strategies for student engagement, teaching practice, assessment and feedback, learning theories, course design, and more.
Whatever your teaching style, and whether your course is entirely face-to-face, hybrid, flipped/blended, or fully online, we can assist with the technology tools to enhance your course and your student's learning experience.