Shop Safe Online this Holiday Season
With increased shopping and an influx of online consumers during the holidays, cybercriminals are taking note. And this year, holiday shopping will look different with many concerned by COVID-19. More than ever, stores are going the online route, and consumers are opting to check off their lists from home at the click of a button. Learn how to protect yourself and your information so you can stay safe while online shopping this holiday season and beyond.
check these off Before You Shop!
Secure your device:
- Update all your apps and software.
- Make sure the device is free of viruses or malware.
Secure your connection:
- Avoid using public Wi-Fi to access personal accounts or engage in business that requires your personal information, like online shopping.
- Make sure the webpage is secure by looking for the lock icon in the address bar and the URL prefix https://
Protect your accounts:
- Enable multi-factor authentication options for an added barrier on your accounts, like social media, email, and banking.
- Make sure your passwords are strong and secure – and never share or re-use them!
Verify the website:
- Make sure that the online retailer is well-known, reliable, and trusted. If you’re unsure, check reviews from other customers.
- If an offer seems too good to be true, don’t trust it!
Avoid giving out unnecessary personal information:
- Monitor the personal information that the seller asks for, and question whether it’s necessary before giving it out.
- Only give the information that is required. If the field is not required, leave it blank.