Microsoft March Spotlight: Teams
Learn the basics
Did you know students and employees get five free downloads of Microsoft Office 365 for use on their work, personal, and mobile devices? Through Office 365, you have access to a variety of helpful apps. Learn all about them during Microsoft March!
What is Teams?
Microsoft Teams is an app within Microsoft Office 365 that all Minnesota State Mankato students and employees have access to - for free! Teams is an all-in-one app that helps you collaborate with your teammates, from work colleagues to classmates to friends, and more. Teams is used in a variety of ways at Minnesota State Mankato:
- Employee collaboration within departments
- Project and event coordination
- Teaching and learning in classroom environments
- Student study groups or group projects
- Recognized student organizations
- And more!
What Can I Do With Teams?
- Create teams and channels*
- Chat with your whole team, or create private chats with individuals
- Schedule meetings using the calendar. It automatically syncs with your Outlook calendar!
- Store and share files
- Collaborate on documents simultaneously with team members
- Utilize other Office 365 tools within channels, like OneNote and Planner.
*Teams are overarching categories consisting of people, conversations, shared files, and tools. You can break down your teams into channels, which are subdivisions dedicated to a department, project, or topic.
Use your MavMAIL credentials to sign into Teams. You can access Teams in a variety of ways:
- Web version: Sign in to MavMAIL and navigate to Teams by clicking on the Apps waffle in the top left of the screen. Or, use this quick link!
- Desktop version: Download Office 365 on your computer and launch Teams.
- Mobile version: Download Teams on your mobile device! Get the Adroid app or get the iOS app.
Creating a New Team
New Teams can only be created by Minnesota State Mankato employees. Students must reach out to a faculty or staff member to create a Team for them.
Teams Tips and Tricks
- Tag other users in conversations using @Mentions. This will alert them with a notification
- Choose custom tabs within channels and chats to add links to helpful tools, like OneNote
- Customize your notifications to choose which ones you want to recieve
- Title your chats by adding a subject line to stay organized
- And more!