Resolving Issues with Wi-Fi Connectivity in Academic Buildings (for student machines and machines that are not state-owned)
With recent upgrades made to our Wi-Fi network in early January 2020, some Windows devices cannot connect to any campus Wi-Fi or have spotty in and out connections. This can happen anywhere on campus but happens most frequently around Armstrong Hall. To fix the problem you will need to update your wireless card and, in some cases, also update your Windows version. See below to update your machine yourself or stop in or call the IT Solutions Center to get help upgrading your machine.
- Check that you have the latest version of your wireless card driver installed and install needed updates.
- On the left-hand side of the page, click the blue download button under “Available Downloads.”
- Accept the terms and conditions.
- The driver will now begin downloading. Once it is finished, run the .exe file found in your downloads
- Once the driver is installed, restart your computer.
If upon reboot this does not fix their wireless connectivity, the installation fails, or you continue to have connection issues, proceed to step 2.
- Verify that the operating system is on version 1809.
- On the Windows Search Bar/Icon, type about.
- “About your PC” will show up as the first search result. Select About your PC or hit enter.
- A new settings window will appear. Scroll down to Windows Specifications.
- Verify your machine is on Windows version 1809 or higher.
- If the version number is less than 1809, proceed to step 3. If the version number is 1809 or greater, proceed to step 5.
- Update Windows to the latest version.
- On the Windows search bar/icon, type in check for updates and press enter.
- Click Check for Updates. Install any cumulative updates found. This should be done automatically.
- Restart the computer to finish installation.
- Proceed to step 4.
- Reinstall the latest Intel wireless drivers (Repeat the instructions in step 2.)
If this does not fix their wireless issues, proceed to step 5.
- Submit a ticket with the following details:
- StarID, preferred email, and phone number.
- Include any other relevant information you know including what you have tried if possible. We will be in contact as soon as possible.