Remote Desktop Direct Setup
- Machine must be a Windows 10 workstation.
- The workstation you want to remote to must be powered on and left on and connected via Ethernet (No Wi-Fi).
Verify your StarID is a local Administrator:
- Click on the Start Button in the lower left corner.
- Click on Settings (Gear Icon).
- Click on Accounts.
- If you don't see accounts, click on Home in the upper left corner.
- Verify that Administrator is listed under your name.
Note: if you are not a local administrator, please contact the Solutions Center.
Find the device name:
- Log into the workstation you want to remote into.
- Right-click on the Start Button in the lower left corner.
- In the pop-up menu, click on System.
- Locate the Device name under Device specifications. This is your workstation name.
- Example: MSU1234567
Setup Remote Desktop Direct :
- Download MSURemoteDesktopDirect.rdp and save it to your desktop.
Connect to Remote Desktop Direct:
Note: Using Remote Desktop Direct doesn't require using the VPN client.
- Double-click the MSURemoteDesktopDirect.rdp file.
- Replace <Workstation Name> with the device name from the "Find the device name" section, plus add .campus.mnsu.edu to the end of the device name.
- Example: MSU1234567.campus.mnsu.edu
- Open connection and type Campus\<starid> to login.
Article Id #23457