Returning Student Checklist

  1. If you were academically suspended when you left the University, be prepared to discuss the requirements for academic reinstatement and be aware you’ll need to submit your appeal no later than 45 days prior to the start of the semester. You can find more details on the Academic Reinstatement Process page. It’s also important to know academic reinstatement doesn’t resolve a financial aid suspension so contact the Campus Hub (see #2 below) if you have questions about the status of your financial aid.
  2. Not sure about financial aid? It’s also a good idea to request an in-person or phone appointment with a Financial Aid Advisor. You can learn more about how your current status affects your financial aid eligibility and if your situation requires additional review or processing to access the funds you need. Contact the Campus Hub at 507-389-1866 to schedule an appointment time.
  3. You may find it helpful to contact the Office of New Student and Family Programs to request access to the information and services provided at student orientation programs. Let them know how long you’ve been away, when you’re planning to return, and what questions you have so they can help you get re-oriented to the Maverick community.
  4. Once you get registered for classes, be sure to stay connected to your instructors and others at the University. Your StarID and Password is used to log in to a number of tech tools, applications and websites, such as D2L Brightspace, MavCONNECT and the MavLife mobile app. Re-establish a routine of checking your MavMAIL student e-mail inbox at least once a day for important messages from your instructors, classmates, and campus offices.
  5. If you’ve been away for more than a year you should get an updated MavCARD student ID, available at no cost. If you’re returning after a shorter absence, you can check to see if your current MavCARD will automatically begin working again for you. Most often you need to be enrolled before a new ID card can be issued; you can confirm your status before visiting the MavCARD Office by calling 507-389-1707 or emailing When you visit the MavCARD Office on the main level of Centennial Student Union, you’ll be required to present valid government-issued photo identification such as a passport or driver’s license, then you’ll get your photo taken and your new card will be printed for you.
  6. If you’ve been away for more than a year you will need to renew any written authorizations that you wish to have in place again to release your private information with other individuals. The financial and academic information release is coordinated through the Campus Hub. Student Health Services manages patient medical record privacy, and you may contact other offices such as Residential Life, Counseling Center and Student Conduct Office for access to forms they may require to document your authorization.