International Counselor & Advisor Resources
Our international student services & admissions teams are here to help international counselors and advisors better understand the admission process to Minnesota State Mankato. We want to make sure you have the resources to confidently recommend Minnesota State Mankato to your students.
Please browse the resources our staff has put together for you on this webpage or email us with any questions on topics that aren't addressed here.
Elizabeth Lohrenz, Recruitment & Retention Specialist
Region: Southeast Asia, East Asia, South Asia & Europe
Hamdi Elnuzahi, Assistant Director of Sponsored Programs
Regions: Middle East, Northern Africa, Gulf States & East Africa
Alissa Morson, Assistant Director for Strategic Communication & Recruitment
Regions: Central Asia, Eastern Europe & Latin America
Jacy Fry, Kearney Center Director
Regions: Canada & The Caribbean
Minnesota State University, Mankato has is a member of the following organizations:
Here at Minnesota State Mankato, we strive to make the application process as convenient and stress-free for students and counselors as possible. For that reason, we have the following policies in place:
- Minnesota State Mankato uses the Minnesota State e-application, a short and straight-forward application that students can fill out in 20 minutes or less. We do not use the Common Application.
- Undergraduate students can have their application fee waived with the promo code "INTLMAV" or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org requesting a fee waiver.
- The University has rolling admission; students usually receive an admission decision with 5-7 business days after they submit their completed application and all required documentation.
- Students who meet the academic benchmarks for admission are guaranteed admission. To see some GPA equivalencies, see our International First-Year Bachelor's Student page. The University does not do a subject analysis of courses, only the cumulative GPA is analyzed for admission.
- Our University is test optional - SAT and ACT tests scores are optional!
- Students do not need a counselor letter or personal statement to complete the application.
Every incoming international undergraduate student receives a scholarship from the University. To see more information about undergraduate scholarship opportunities, see our International Scholarships page. Additionally, once students are enrolled at the University, they can apply to other merit-based scholarships that they qualify for. To find out more about general, merit-based scholarships, please see our Scholarship Finder page.
International graduate students receive in-state tuition upon enrollment. Although there are no other guaranteed scholarships for graduate students, the in-state tuition rate allows students to study at a discounted rate. Other information about funding graduate study can be found on our International Master's and Doctorate Students section.
Our staff enjoys getting to know the students who are preparing to come to Minnesota State Mankato and has developed many opportunities to meet them before they arrive on campus.
- Our International Recruitment Specialist provides one-on-one virtual advising for prospective students. Encourage students who want to have a personal coversation with our awesome advising staff.
- For accepted students, we have Student Visa Preparation Sessions for students. During these individual sessions, students have the opportunity to connect with a current international student. These student staff members are trained to help students gain confidence in their interview skills and talk through areas of concern with them.
- We have many virtual information sessions that students can join in for free. Please see our calendar of events for more information.
Depending on the year, we have virtual information sessions on Facebook Live at least once a month or as often as once a week. You can find a schedule of the information sessions on our events page.
If the event dates and times do not work for you or your students, we upload all of our offerings to our YouTube channel. We have the following playlists on our page:
Minnesota State Mankato staff is always happy to work with international counselors and advisors to offer high-quality informational webinars. If you are interested in scheduling a webinar with one of our amazing staff members, please fill out the complete interest form.
A Minnesota State Mankato staff member will reach out to you in 48-72 hours of your request to confirm date and time of the webinar.
PLEASE NOTE: When scheduling webinars with our staff, keep in mind that we are located in Central Standard Time (CST/GMT-5) time zone. This may restrict times that our staff is available to offer virtual webinars.
Webinar Topics Offered:
- General MNSU Informational Session
- Types of U.S. Colleges & Universities
- Funding your U.S. Education
- Writing a Stellar Essay
- U.S. Application Process: Bachelor's Programs
- U.S. Application Process: Master's Programs
If you would like us to offer a webinar on a topic that is not listed, please fill out the interest form and indicate the topic you want to offer to your students. Our staff will work with you to see if the topic is possible.
Minnesota State Mankato sends out a monthly newsletter that highlights campus updates that counselors may be interested in.
To start receiving the International Counselors & Advisors Newsletter, please fill out the request form. Once you fill out the form, you will begin to receive the newsletter within 2-4 weeks.