Graduate International Student Admission Requirements
Resident Tuition Rates for the Duration of Graduate Program
International students are eligible for resident tuition rates for the duration of their graduate program. This tuition amount is available starting with the very first semester of enrollment and is reflected in the estimated expenses noted below. Undergraduate deficiency courses will be charged at the standard non-resident rate.
Every year Minnesota State University, Mankato welcomes and enrolls students representing almost 70 nations. We look forward to reviewing your credentials. As an international applicant, please use the information contained on this page as a supplement to the general application instructions. Information concerning international student services is available at the International Student Office.
Applicants must possess the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor's degree to be considered for graduate programs at Minnesota State Mankato. The degree must be earned at an institution recognized and approved to award the degree. International students are not typically admitted as non-degree seeking students.
The Following Documents are Necessary for Admission to the College of Graduate Studies
- Complete the online application. All applications must be completed online.
- $40.00 non–refundable application fee. Applications will not be processed until payment is received.
- If you were educated outside of the United States, a credential evaluation prepared by a reputable credential evaluator. Minnesota State Mankato will accept evaluations prepared by a National Association of Credentials Evaluation Services member. Applicants using World Education Services to evaluate credentials should be particularly careful to ensure that the evaluations are delivered to the correct campus address, and are advised that there are often delays in receiving WES evaluations. Each credential evaluation agency has different names for different services. The evaluation, regardless of what it is called by the evaluation agency, must include a detailed listing of the courses completed while you were enrolled at the overseas institutions, the grade received in each course, and an overall evaluation of your cumulative coursework at each institution. International applicants who will not have earned a degree prior to applying to a graduate program should request that the evaluation agency note the US equivalency of the anticipated awarded degree. Evaluations must be sent directly from the evaluation service. Photocopies are not accepted.
- If you were educated overseas and are submitting a detailed credential evaluation, official transcripts or mark sheets are not required at the time of application. Official final degree verifying transcripts will be required if the degree has not been awarded at the time of application. Photocopies are not accepted.
- If you were educated in the United States, one official transcript sent directly from the institutions attended. Submitted documents are not returned to the applicant under any circumstance.
- International applicants must submit the required [PDF] financial affidavit (110 KiB). Please note that a graduate assistantship most likely not cover the entire cost of attending Minnesota State University, Mankato.
- Credentials attached to email messages are not encouraged. Credentials must be official and received directly from the institution sending the official credential. Emal attachments submitted by applicants or potential applicants are not opened by this office.
- Submitted credentials are not returned to the applicant under any circumstances.
Applicants from Nigeria: Due to an exceptionally low number of student visa approvals for Nigerian applicants, Minnesota State University, Mankato requires that applicants from Nigeria register with an EducationUSA advising center. EducationUSA is an organization of non-profit advising centers that are supported and/or endorsed by the U.S. Department of State. Their purpose is to provide assistance to students who wish to study in the United States. Students who work with EducationUSA are more informed about the visa process and more likely to be successful in obtaining a student visa. Applicants applying from Nigeria must ask their EducationUSA advisor to send an email message to email@example.com, confirming registration with EducationUSA. The email confirmation must be sent from the EducationUSA address. Photocopies of membership cards are not accepted. Students already in the United States are not required to provide this documentation.
The standardized tests required by each academic program are noted on the degree program program web pages. Search the list for your desired program, and follow the link for additional admission requirements for the specific program.
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) – International students must demonstrate English language proficiency by submitting TOEFL or IELTS results. IELTS results must be from the Academic and not the General Training module. Please consult the program web pages for the minimum scores required by each individual program. Unless otherwise noted a score of at least 500 on the written test or 61 or better on the Internet–based exam is required, although most graduate programs require significantly higher TOEFL and IELTS scores. Applicants from countries where English is the SOLE OFFICIAL language of instruction (Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Canada-except Quebec, England, the Gambia, Ghana, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, New Zealand, Nigeria, Scotland, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad, Tobago, Uganda, and Wales) are typically not required to submit TOEFL results.
- The GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is required by some academic programs.
- MBA and accounting applicants must submit GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) results.
All test scores must be submitted directly by the testing agency. The Educational Testing Service (ETS) code for Minnesota State Mankato is 6677. Photocopies are test scores are not accepted.
All documents submitted as part of a graduate application will not be returned to the applicant.
Deadlines for Application to the College of Graduate Studies
|Fall (late August)||Applications and all required credentials must be submitted no later than May 1|
|Spring (January)||Applications and all required credentials must be submitted no later than Oct. 1|
These deadlines may change without notice. Please note that some programs have earlier application deadlines. Please consult the specific graduate program Web page or The College of Graduate Studies Web page for departmental deadlines. If you wish to be considered for financial assistance, you are encouraged to apply no later than February 1 for the fall semester.
Minnesota State Mankato does not typically accept international student applications during the summer session.
Estimated Expenses and Financial Assistance
International students are eligible for in–state tuition rates during their entire length of study at Minnesota State Mankato.
Tuition, fees, and room and board charges are subject to change by the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities. You are required to maintain full-time enrollment during fall and spring semesters. Full-time enrollment is a minimum of 6 credits, 3 of which may be taken online/from a distance. Estimates are based on nine or more credits per semester.
|Tuition and Fees (estimate)|
|9 fall semester credits||$3,929|
|9 spring semester credits||$3,929|
|Total for First & Second Semesters||$7,858|
|Room and Board|
|On-Campus Housing (9 months)
(Based on average ON campus room and meal costs)
|Total for Room and Board (9 months)||$9,096|
|Books & Supplies||$1,200|
|Total for Miscellaneous Expenses||$3,700|
|Total Estimated Expenses for 9 Months Academic School Year||$20,654|
The Expenses figure is the 9 month academic year for 2017-2018. Summer is not included. Additional resources would be needed to cover summer costs. Verification of an additional $6,500 is required if you are bringing a spouse/first dependent and $4,000 for each additional dependent.
**Programs listed under Tuition & Fees have a higher tuition than other programs. Students applying to these graduate programs must demonstrate the availability of at least $23,000.
Minnesota State Mankato offers a limited number of assistantships for first–year international students. These assistantships include a stipend and a tuition scholarship. Please not that most graduate assistantships do not cover the entire estimated cost of attendance. Applicants receiving a graduate assistantship should plan on demonstrating the availability of at least $3,000 in order to receive an I-20 form.
Submitted documents are not returned to the applicant.
Information concerning international student services is available at the Kearney Center for International Student Services.