International Travel Steps

Please follow the guidelines below when planning to engage in professional, university activities involving international travel:

Travel Permissions:

  • You must complete the ‘Request for Approval of Out-Of-State Travel’ form at 
  • Check the U.S. Department of State travel website to see what travel advisory designation the country has been given.
  • If the country you are traveling to is on the U.S. Department of State travel website and has a Level 3 or Level 4 designation, you will need to complete this additional form.
  • If the country has a Level 4 designation, you will not be able to use university funds for the trip.

Emergency Preparedness:

  • When traveling internationally, please make sure to ‘Enroll in STEP’ which allows the Department of State to better assist you in case of an emergency while you are abroad.
  • Redpoint is a service available to state employees at no additional cost for those who have a Securian life plan.
    • The service provides coverage for repatriation of mortal remains. If used the service will arrange and pay all necessary and ordinary expenses up to $50,000.
    • In the event of a security emergency, Redpoint will provide evacuation to the nearest safe area. A security emergency is defined as an event causing the officials of a country you are travelling in (including the US) to issue reasons, other than medical, for you to leave that country. This service covers up to a maximum of $150,000.
    • Employees should contact Redpoint for pre-trip information, terms and conditions prior to travel. In the U.S. and Canada, they can be contacted at 1-855-516-5433. From other locations, call collect at 1-415-484-4677.

Health Insurance:

  • Employees should contact their health care provider regarding coverage when traveling abroad.