Steps to Success
What is steps to success?
The Steps to Success program is a one-semester certificate program designed to bolster students’ academic success. Through meaningful one-to-one coaching sessions with Kearney Center staff, workshops to expand your skill sets, and purposeful interactions with campus resources, you will receive support as part of a respected student group that strives for the best by making academic and life success a priority.
- Connect with our staff for personal coaching
- Get strategies for balancing classes, work, and personal responsibilities.
- Build a community of staff, faculty, and peer support
- Learn how to effectively relate to professors and advisors
- Access free college and community resources
- Become knowledgeable about campus resources
- Set and make progress toward academic goals
Students with Term GPAs below 2.5 or Cumulative GPAs below 3.0 at the end of the Spring semester are eligible and encouraged to join the Kearney International Center's Steps to Success program.
A. Sessions with your Kearney International Center coach every 3 weeks.
B. Attend at least three workshops this semester.
A wide variety of topics will promote growth opportunities. Workshops are facilitated by Kearney Center staff and campus partners who want to help you succeed!
- Making the Most out of Academic Advising and How to Effectively Communicate with Professors
- How to Cite Resources
- Learning Online
- Academic Success and University Resources
- Time Management
- Immigration and Employment
- Using Campus Technology (Navigating the University website, using D2L, MavLife, and Engage)
- Getting Involved with Student Organizations
- Having A Healthy Life Balance
- Cultural Adjustment
- Learning Style
- Study Skills
- Stress Management
- Writing A Resume and Cover Letter
- Managing Finances
C. Gain practical experience by accumulating and tracking 10 hours of academic and personal support.
Here are some ideas for what you can do:
- Participate in group-study sessions
- Meet your academic advisor
- Consult your professors or teaching assistants during their office hours
- Attend MavPass peer tutoring sessions
- Receive assistance from the Writing Center
- Get help from Information Technology Services
- Attend a meeting of a student organization
- Utilize Career Development Center resources
Students will have successfully completed the program when, by the end of the semester, they have:
- Completed 10 hours of academic support and recorded them in MavLife
- Attended at least three workshops and answered a brief reflection in D2L for each
- Met five times with your Kearney Center coach
- Increase your confidence
- Expand your knowledge of campus resources
- Increase your GPA
- Experience being part of a campus community that cares about your academic and personal success
Getting Started Is Easy!
- Complete the Application due by Midnight on Friday, September 17
- You will be contacted by Kearney International Center to confirm the receipt of your application.
- Your Kearney International Center coach will then invite you for your first coaching session and you’ll be on your way!