Veterinary Medicine (Pre-Veterinary Medicine)
Veterinary Medicine is a pre-professional program. The purpose of pre-professional programs is to provide students with the intellectual and academic backgrounds they will need before continuing their education in degrees not offered at Minnesota State Mankato. Acceptance to professional educational institutions is contingent upon academic performance, so students enrolling in pre-professional programs should be highly motivated and realize they are expected to maintain standards of excellence. Advisors play an important role in guiding the students enrolled in such programs so students are urged to contact the advisor before enrolling.
Students are strongly encouraged to declare a major and work toward a Bachelor’s degree while completing the pre-veterinary coursework. Because of the extensive overlap of required courses with major’s courses, student commonly major in one of the biology or chemistry options.
Policies & Faculty
Specific course requirements for admission to veterinary schools vary somewhat. The following requirements are designed for application to the University of Minnesota Veterinary School. Students should use these requirements as a general guide and check specific requirements for other Veterinary Schools.
Required for Major (Core, 49-53 credits)
ENG 101 Composition (4)
- Plus: one additional course, such as communication, literature, advanced writing, technical writing, etc.
- BIOL 105 General Biology I (4)
- BIOL 106 General Biology II (4)
- BIOL 211 Genetics (4)
- BIOL 270 Microbiology (4)
- CHEM 201 General Chemistry I (5)
- CHEM 202 General Chemistry II (5)
- CHEM 322 Organic Chemistry I (4)
- CHEM 323 Supplemental Organic Functional Group Chemistry (1)
- CHEM 360 Principles of Biochemistry (4)
- PHYS 211 Principles of Physics I (4)
- PHYS 212 Principles of Physics II (4)
Choose one of the following options
- MATH 112 College Algebra (4) and
- MATH 113 Trigonometry (3)* or
- MATH 115 Precalculus Mathematics (4) or
- MATH 121 Calculus I (4)
* Although the University of Minnesota specifically requires only MATH 112, Minnesota State Mankato PHYS 111 requires either both MATH 112 and MATH 113, or MATH 115 or higher as prerequisites.
Required Electives Liberal Education Courses (9-12 credits; 3 courses)
Choose 3 courses from
- Social Science
- Arts and Humanities
- BIOL 220 Human Anatomy (4) AND
- BIOL 330 Principles of Human Physiology (4) OR
- BIOL 431 Comparative Animal Physiology (3)
Graduate Record Exam (GRE) must be taken.
College of Science, Engineering & Technology
Advisor: P. Knoblich D.V.M., Ph.D.