Employees Time to Submit 2020 Transit Expense Account Reimbursement Requests

October 13, 2020 |

Employees enrolled in the 2020 Transit Expense Account (TEA) for their parking permit expenses must submit reimbursement requests to 121 Benefits. Reimbursement requests must be submitted after the permit has taken effect but no later than 180 calendar days from the date the parking permit took effect. February 28, 2021, will be the absolute deadline for 121 Benefits to receive reimbursement claims for permits that are effective on August 24, 2020. Following are instructions to help with the reimbursement process.

  • The 2020 reimbursement form is on the 121 Benefits website. Under “Reimbursement Forms”, click on “2020 Transit Reimbursement Form.” Alternately, you may submit claims electronically through that website.
  • For “Benefit Year” put 2020 (not 2020-2021).
  • Your “State Employee ID Number” is the same ID number you use to look up your paycheck stubs.
  • In the “Date Expense Incurred or Period Covered” put the following:
    • The first (or start) date should be the date the permit took effect, not the date you paid for the permit. Most campus permits take effect on 08/17/2020 so that would be the start date.
    • The second (or end) date must be no later than 12/31/2020 but may be earlier. The maximum expense reimbursement allowed is $265 per month. Permits costing no more than $265 may have a reimbursement end date on or after 09/18/2020 but no later than 12/31/2020. Gold permits cost $340 so the reimbursement end date must be mid-October or later (for example, 10/18/2020 would be okay) and no later 12/31/2020
  • For “Expense Description” write “MnSCU parking permit.”
  • The “Service Provider” is “Minnesota State University, Mankato” for university parking permits.
  • Somewhere on the form write “Paid in April (or whenever you have paid for your permit) but expense incurred beginning in August – approved by MMB and 121 Benefits.” If you submit your claim electronically, write this note on the copy of your receipt. This is to help 121 Benefit’s claims processors spot one of our claims and understand why the receipt shows a date that does not correspond with the permit dates.
  • Attach a copy of your receipt to the form or upload or fax the receipt to 121 Benefits if submitting your claim electronically. Copies of cancelled checks or credit card statements are not acceptable as receipts. You may obtain a copy of your parking permit receipt from the Campus Hub. You should also keep copies for your records as well as document when and how you sent any electronic or fax submissions.
  • Submit your claim to 121 Benefits no earlier than the “end date” you used for the period covered. 121 Benefits must receive the claim and documentation no later than the plan year filing deadline of February 28 (29 if it’s a Leap Year), whichever comes first. For questions, contact 121 Benefits at 1-800-300-1672 or Arielle Schmitz at 507-389-1190 / arielle.schmitz.2@mnsu.edu or Sarith Phan at 507.389.1042 / sarith.phan@mnsu.edu in Human Resources.

Share this Article: